Saturday, April 17, 2010

Other cool portraits...

A couple other links to some great portraits...and their how to's


How cute is this? This is by Barbara Strobel Lardon
here's a link to some of her process from the interpret this blog



And another piece by Nellie here, Lots of info on her process for this piece...

And, In American Quilter this month, there is an article
about Deidre Scherer and her amazing portraits..

Go take a look for some Fabulous inspiration!


As for me, my daughter has begged me to do her as well...
so I am playing with a few ideas,
and want to try something different than my first attempt...
perhaps some paint on fabric, layers, etc etc. we'll see..
I work best without a plan!

Here's a different "portrait"quilt I made back in 2007...

Silhouettes of all the kids in My daughter's class
I made silhouettes from each kids photo I took of them...
Diluted acrylic black paint and filled them in..
the kids signed their blocks with fabric markers...
and then had a bunch of mom's come and help me hand quilt it...

Kathy is making one right now on her blog


And some really cool portraits...
The gallery my hubby works for, has a great show on right now...
This was the first photo booth painting that Andy Warhol did,
it features Ethel Scull, Art collectors, whom the show is about...

Have a great weekend!

When do you all sew, most often?
weekdays or weekends?





5 comments:

Alexis said...

Wow, what great inspiration! I love your silhouette quilt. And the gallery looks amazing- how cool!

I sew whenever I can- when the kids are at school or in bed, and sometimes on the weekends. I dream of someday having a studio and regular sewing hours blocked out each day!

WoolenSails said...

I love Barbara's work, great inspiration on her blog.
I am doing a retreat with my ebay group, so working on mini quilts this weekend. I work (play) everyday, lol. I switch up between sewing and other crafts, to give my hands a break from repetitive use.

Debbie

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Thanks for the links. Some really amazing stuff!

I'm not working now, so I get sewing time in almost every day. I feel pretty spoiled!

Nellie's Needles said...

Thanks for "spot lighting" the layering of batting to sculpt facial features. I came up with it because I didn't want the warriors eyes to bug out. I used this layering on my self-portrait for the same reason. Solid contour quilting lines can easily flatten out and distort features. If that's not the desired effect, this building up the dimensional qualities of features works well.

Kathy said...

I am very drawn to Andy Warhol's style with using a repeating image. When I did Ugly Kathy, that was a major influence in my decision to repeat the same image multiple times.