Monday, May 17, 2010

Ta Dah!!

Here's my reveal. I know it looks like a floating head but I chickened out at the thought of putting a neck on it. I started with a picture and enlarged and printed it in black and white at Staples. I am not an artist and really can't draw so I decided to flip the picture over and use a sharpie to outline different elements.
I just traced onto the fusible. If I had more confidence I really could have just thread stitched around the eyes and the nose but NO WAY! Experience has taught me that that is beyond my ability. I kept the whole thing very simple. I am, however considering embellishing with some beads or something for earrings. I can't put on a necklace without a neck, can I? Lol. I decided to try to make my self-portrait look like it was in a wood frame, and then I just framed it wonky for some interest.
For some reason, I have a thing for birds lately. These little guys came from 'my whimsical quilt garden' from Piece o' Cake Designs.


I couldn't resist this chubby little birdie!! Just so cute.
This was fun and I just might try it again. Maybe I can get a picture of my kids together.
I can't wait to see everybody else's portrait. Let's go people!






11 comments:

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It is fantastic! I love the frame and birds and your portrait is great.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wonderful! It's great! I wish I would have used your process for the nose (as you will see later). And the birds are a perfect addition!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I love it!! Of course you can have a necklace.-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I Love it! what fun! YES to a necklace and earrings! Love the stitches around the border...
the added touches of the color of the birds really brings it alive. Very Cool. So glad you enjoyed the project!

Michele said...

Your portrait quilt turned out so cute! I love the birds!

WoolenSails said...

I love how you finished it and the added applique birds are so cute.

Debbie

Nellie's Needles said...

You look wonderful! Who says you need a neck in order to wear a necklace? This is art. Putting a necklace in place will give the suggestion of your having a neck. But then does the piece really need that addition? I think it's GOOD.

Kathy said...

looks Great Lisa!! I love the stitches in the border and the birds are really cute too.

Alexis said...

What a great finish! The birds are a fun touch. A necklace and earrings would be fun!

Unknown said...

I think this quilt is one of my favorites....It is whimsical and fun and I love that you say your head is floating....My head is always kind of floating, so I appreciate that.....good job!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I like your wonky head! The birds add a great touch:)